What I do:
I architect & create secure, scalable and useful internet applications. I make smart business decisions, lead people and projects, develop databases and write code.
- Tactful and experienced team leader
- Calm and reasonable in tense situations
- Realistic and optimistic
- Willing to make hard decisions
- Resourceful and creative
- Motivated to drive company success
- Technically capable and business-focused
- Experienced across a wide range of industries
- Full software development lifecycle experience. Will see a project through to success.
Director of Engineering
• Managing technology from startup through to successful profitable company.
• Leading a development team distributed across two continents.
• Produced a crowdfunding site built on Mogiv’s payment processing engine.
• Migrated to Amazon AWS: decreased cost, increased uptime & geographical redundancy.
• Integrated with multiple payment processors for increased stability, redundancy and profit while processing hundreds of thousands of donations.
• Created successful SMS text-to-give product.
• Keeping security a priority for our customers’ financial data.
City of Guelph
• Senior technical/web architect for the City of Guelph, ON Canada.
• Developed high availability, geographically redundant web server architecture and implementation plan for the City.
• Provided cost/benefit and risk analyses of in-house (VMware) vs. cloud-based hosting for City sites.
• Architected & developed a powerful PCI compliance forms generator.
• Developed Floorshop.com from the founder’s idea into a successful, high-volume e-commerce site, over six years.
• Scaled successfully from a startup to 8 figures in annual sales without a significant rewrite.
• Managed most technical aspects of the site until it was acquired in 2004.
• Conceptualized, designed & built a product providing processing power to financial markets.
• Bullhive uses Amazon’s cloud (EC2 & Route 53) to spin up and down extra CPU cycles on demand.
TELUS Security Solutions
• Provided & managed a team supporting 24x7 uptime to TELUS security products.
• Supported complex PCI-compliant web systems architectures.
The Marco Corporation
• Provided senior-level strategic guidance across many aspects of IT.
• Architected & developed improved software development lifecycle.
• Provided recommendations on hardware, software, network redundancy, and software design & development.
• Security audit of web systems.
• Trained staff on object oriented development, 3-tier systems, and other subjects,
• Identified an opportunity and implemented a project using an open source application server stack to save tens of thousands of dollars in license fees.
• I was brought in to solve a specific uptime issue. I resolved the problem in < 45 minutes and worked with them for another year.
• I kept an outdated, inherited, undocumented web system, relied upon daily by over 100,000 worldwide users, running until we could migrate it to its new owner.
• Designed, architected, project managed and/or developed many other e-commerce systems with up to millions of products (i.e. entire ISBN, CD and movie catalogues).
• Created open source dynamic ORM (object relationship mapping) CRUD (create/read/update/delete) scaffolding tool for CFML (ColdFusion markup language). Wrote ColdFusion’s implementation for Amazon’s Route 53 DNS provider and released it as open source.
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
1991 - 1996